Thursday, August 1, 2013

And the verdict is....

Well, it has been a week and the cakes have been defrosted.  On separate nights that is.  Wouldn't want to give my family a complete over-shock of sugar.

The first one defrosted was the fondant covered cake with the gum paste bow.  I was pleasantly surprised that the bow was in perfect condition - didn't droop or break.  The fondant color was as bright as the day I colored it.  I did notice that there were a few ice crystals forming on the sides.  When I touched the fondant it was sticky.  Not the way it should be.  I got a little concerned.  So, I let it defrost at room temperature for about a day.  The stickiness went away and it felt normal to the touch.  The fondant was no longer perfectly smooth.  If you looked really close (and I do mean pretty close up) there seemed to be little holes, or pin pricks, around the fondant.  Nothing earth shattering.

Two days later, I defrosted the buttercream cake with the royal icing flowers.  Again, pleasantly surprised that it looked exactly the same as when I boxed it up for the freezer.  This time I did not notice any ice crystals around the cake.  The flowers held their shape perfectly.  It also helps that they were made from royal icing, which dries pretty hard anyways.

And the question I know you are all asking.  How did they taste? 

The answer is....the buttercream and royal icings tasted absolutely normal.  The fondant tasted just the same as when I put it on the cake.  I do think it was a little stretchier than usual though.  The cake itself, I found to be a tad bit drier than when fresh baked.  I would compare it to a day or two old cake.  A cake that is happily enjoyed and every last crumb is missing from the plate.

Now the next questions I know you are all asking.  Would you recommend decorating and freezing a cake?

The answer is....it wouldn't be my first choice.  Nothing beats the freshness of a cake that just came from the oven!




No comments:

Post a Comment