Monday, July 22, 2013

To Freeze or Not To Freeze

This week I was asked to make a cake for a baby shower.  Last minute, but if I could make it work I would.  The biggest problem I had was not that the person needed it a day before the party so that they could travel to the destination.  It was that I am going away with my family and I would need to complete it 3 days prior to the shower.  Not exactly ideal circumstances or timing.  After reading different opinions on different baking websites I found that some people decorate and freeze cakes with the claim that no one notices, while others won't do it because it compromises the cake.  I have never frozen a decorated cake before so I just don't know which side of the debate I support.  I respectfully declined making the cake, for fear that it would not be best work and I didn't want the party to be tainted by yucky cake.

But the question still remains in my mind.  To freeze or not to freeze?  So, today I made two small cakes and decorated them.  One was straight buttercream icing with royal icing flowers.  The other was buttercream icing topped with buttercream fondant and a gum paste bow.  I placed them in two separate cake boxes and wrapped them extremely well in plastic wrap and tin foil.  Then, down into the freeze they went.  Next week I will pop them out and see what happened.  Fingers crossed that the cakes make it!



P.S.  Check out the cake page - more photos added!

No comments:

Post a Comment